quite possibly have a serious problem with my 6.2L.... a long story

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 12:37:02 PST

Hey Guys,
Something really crappy happened this weekend. I needed to go down the road
to where my deuce is parked and top up the antifreeze cause it's getting
colder and colder here. So I hopped in my '84 M1009 and made the 25min.
drive to the deuce. When I went to start my M1009, I noticed that I didn't
hear the familiar putter of my inline electric fuel pump. Hmmm, I said, and
started it anyways. The pump had been making more noise recently and would
sometimes start working after a few seconds which I figured would happen
this time. I made the drive down and it was totally uneventful,.....until I
pulled up next to my deuce at which point the 6.2L promptly cut out. I
listened for the fuel pump and didn't hear it. Crap, I figured the
injection pump had lost its prime finally and cut out. I tried to restart
it, but it was a no go. I beat on the inline pump a little and it started
running again so I tried to bleed out any air at the fuel filter, but
nothing came out. So, I topped of the coolant in the deuce and drove it
home, much to the suprise of my wife and neighbors!

The next day, I bought a new pump and headed for the CUCV. My Dad and I
replaced the pump. I turned the key on and within an instant there was fuel
coming out of the air bleed. Strange, even though I had dumped fuel all
over myself chaging the pump, there was still fuel in the lines. Oh well, I
cracked 6 of the 8 injection lines open and proceded to crank and crank
until fuel appeared at three of the nuts. By this time the batteries were
getting low so we jumped it off of the deuce which quickly brought the
cranking speed back up. Then, we cranked some more, but still no more fuel
at the nuts. Hmmmm.... Some point during the cranking it sounded like a
sharp burst of air was being shot back up the intake and it kept doing that
with every crank. I have never heard anything like that before. Anyways, I
kept cranking and cranking at intervals allowing the starter to cool down,
but still no more fuel at any more nuts. I made sure the fuel cut off was
working, it was clicking so I assume it was. We worked on it till dark and
still no go. I could smell a little fuel at the tailpipes, but never saw
any smoke.

This morning I stopped and bought a can of starting fluid. I know, don't
freak out, I've done it before and know to disconnect the glow plugs and not
to pour it down the intake so as not to lock up the engine. The old 6.2L
has always started on ether even if it wasn't getting any fuel to the
injectors, but try as I may this morning I could not even get the slightest
burp out of it. It was still making that air burst on every turn and some
other weird noises. At one point during the morning I noticed a widening
puddle of oil under the engine. It was coming from the drain hole on the
scatter plate. It has always leaked a drop here and there, but never that
much. I didn't have time before work to pull the scatter shield and see
where the oil is coming from, but I will sometime this week.

Now I am seriously worried that it wasn't just a fuel problem. With the new
oil leak, plenty of fuel in the filter, and that weird air burping out of
the intake bad thoughts are dancing in my head. My Dad suggested a busted
cam shaft. That would explain the sudden death and the air coming out of
the intake. Have you guys seen a 6.2 bust a cam? What are some other
thoughts? I am trying to hash this out because I won't have a chance to
look at it for a few days. Anyone?

Thanks for reading this epic tale.
Chris

Chris Stansbury, O.D.
1301 Lee Street East
Charleston, WV 25301
304-343-3363

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime