Was: Buying Military trucks from Hawaii; Now: Rant, WC question

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 14:41:08 PST

Great post WGB!

Very informative. The only thing I think I'd like to hear is who the
miscreant tow company is. On the list, most of us are more than happy to
name a good, decent individual or company that's done right by us. But many
of the posts will do the "name withheld" thing with a company that had
mislead or outright screwed up or ripped us off. It's valuable information
for everyone - to know who's good, and who's bad out there. Why keep
rewarding crappy individuals or companies with new customers that have to go
through the same garbage that you've gone through.

I remember when I bought my first Unimog, had a Los Angeles transport
company give me a quote from Palo Alto to San Diego. They loaded it up
there, and then wouldn't bring it past Los Angeles, and wouldn't release it
without full payment first. The excuse the idiots had was the Unimog was
over 10K pounds and had damaged one of their trailers. Actual weight of the
truck was 5700 pounds, but they wouldn't listen. I had to drive up with
another carrier to pick it up. I'd have to dig up my paperwork to make sure,
but I checked a year or so later and they weren't at the same address or
number, so I'm thinking they're out of business. Good riddance, and I was
more than happy to let everyone know who they were at the time.

Okay. Rant over. I feel better now.

Greg

OB MV content: I want an M923A1 also. Ok, and something else - I noticed on
my WC's the frame difference between the WC51 and the WC52. The 51 that I
have came with frame extensions to mount the PTO winch - were these a stock
issue item to convert the non-winch truck to a winch model? Or were these
aftermarket items? I can't see any markings on them, but they have the
standard Braden mounts, and slide into the stock frame channels.