<MV> looking for a ground-hop kit for AV-1790-7

From: David Yando (yando@lanemotormuseum.org)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 08:47:27 PST

 (this is my 3rd attempt to post here, sorry if anyone has actually received
it multiple times)

 Hello all,

 New list member here, I manage an auto museum in Nashville TN. We have a
 small and mostly European collection of military vehicles, along with
plenty
 of other odd stuff.

 My reason for posting, and for joining, is this: We picked up a complete
 (almost ;-) tank engine last year that we would like to be able to start
for
 demonstration purposes. It is a Chrysler/Continental AV-1790-7, air-cooled
 V-12, gasoline fuel. The parts we do not have are apparently called a
 "ground-hop kit", basically a way to start the engine outside of the
 chassis. Since we do not have a spare M48 or similar laying around, I was
 wondering if anyone on the list could suggest...

 a: where to find a ground-hop kit?
 b: how to kludge one up from truck or construction equipment parts?
 (specifics are more helpful than "get a 24v starter")
 or c: other ways/ideas to get this thing running.

 Letters and e-mails to the original seller have so far gone unanswered,
 the response from the Armor Research Library at Ft. Knox basically said -
"get
 a 24v starter" , and a likely vendor recommended by Military Vehicles
 Magazine does not have one, so here I am. Any and all advice and help is
 appreciated.

 David Yando
 Manager
 Lane Motor Museum www.lanemotormuseum.org