Re: [MV] looking for a ground-hop kit for AV-1790-7

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 18:20:29 PST

David:

Welcome to the wacky world of military stuff.

A suggestion that I just got from a friend, who is an old engine collector:

He has one of the very first Cummins diesel engines ever made. it has a bore
of about 12" and a stroke of about 2 feet. It has one cylinder, and a huge
flywheel. He has adapted a small, one cylinder, Honda gasoline-powered
posthole digger to start the Cummins. My friend is a big strong guy, so if
you're not, find someone who is to do this. He has removed the auger, and
put a specially-made crank end on the tip of the rotating shaft. He holds it
(horizontally) up to and engaged with the center of the flywheel, in a
mating mechanical connection. (sorry that I do not have photo capability, or
a better description).

It is a very clever and effective starter.

A P Bloom