Re: [MV] Best way to make a in-vehicle smoke generator?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 18:35:29 PST

>One more way would be a metal can with a heating element, filled with
ammonium chloride powder. When you heat ammonium chloride, it
decomposes and produces thick white smoke. It is not flammable. So
you could turn the smoke on and off with your heating element control.<

I bet almost every one of us on this board in the US has done this, albeit years ago. This is exactly how, and as I recall, exactly the chemical, used to make Lionel toy steam locomotives produced between 1947 and 1966 smoke. In 1946 they used a different chemical...and after 1966 they went to a liquid...but the famous little white pills in iterim were ammonium chloride, and we dropped them on a heating element.

The difference between men and boys is the size of their toys.

Regards,
David Doyle