Brake ?, same system as CUCV

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 11:29:52 PST

This question is off topic in that it applies to my civilian vehicle, a 6.2
diesel powered '84 GMC Suburban, but perhaps folks with CUCV's can benefit
from my experience.

Once the temperature dropped below freezing and stayed there, I started
having trouble with the back brakes grabbing for the first two or three
times they were applied. Once things warmed up from use, the issue would
go away. I could live with that, but a couple days ago the back brakes
started working fine from the get go, but the passenger side front brake
started engaging well ahead of the other three. I feel a pronounced pull
to the right each time I apply the brakes, and it will lock up well ahead
of the others in an aggressive stop.

My first guess is some contaminate (water/ice?) in the brake fluid, and
that flushing the system and refilling with new fluid will take care of the
problem... but before I do that, I thought I'd ask if anyone has
experienced the same problem caused by something else? Is it a chronic
master cylinder or proportionating valve/manifold issue?

Thanks!

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT