HMMWV rear bumper mounting

From: ke6myk@sbcglobal.net
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 15:24:01 PST

Hi. I have a 1986 USMC M998 HMMWV. These generally do not have the
heavy-duty rear bumper. I'm converting my truck to an M1037 shelter
carrier, and I want to install a rear bumper. I just got a bumper
without mounting brackets today from an Ebay auction, and I'm going
through the parts book and figuring out what brackets I'll need to
order. I have a few questions that I hope somebody can answer.

1. It looks like I'll be able to remove the pintle from the old
cross-member and mount it on the new bumper with the same hardware. Is
that right?

2. The brackets shown in the parts diagram which attach the new bumper
to the outside surfaces of the frame rails will replace existing body
mounting brackets. Will the new brackets for the rear bumper also have
the hole on top for the rearmost body mounting bushings?

3. How will the pioneer tool rack mount after I install the new
bumper?

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S.: I have the shelter sitting on the rack in the back of the truck
now, and this weekend I'll make the reinforcing plate that I'll need
to finish bolting it in. I'll post pictures before too long.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/