Re: [MV] Rebuild, or Not?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 18:57:34 PST

Aaron,

You need to do an evaluation on the engine.

First thing I would do would be to make sure it spins free. Then get the
engine into an engine stand set it up for cranking. You'll need a battery
some wire, etc. Make sure the oil is up and crank that engine over with
the starter. If it sounds good (ie nothing clanking, etc), put a
compression checker on it and see how the cylinders and valves are. If the
pressure is within spec, I'd either try and set it up to run on an engine
stand, or stick it in the M38 and see how it runs. If the compression is
out of spec, you can narrow it down to rings or valves by squirting some
oil into the cylinders. That tends to seal up the rings and if the valves
are bad, you pressure will still be low.

I wouldn't spend a dime on the engine until I spent 4 hours or so
evaluating the engine. It's also pretty simple to pull the pan and check
the main and rod bearings with the engine in an engine stand. It might be
junk or it might be close to perfect. Chances are it is somewhere in
between.

The more you know about the engine the less it will cost to get it ready
for your ride.

Good Luck,

Dave

--