Re: [MV] Rebuild, or Not?

From: Ray Fougnier (rfougnier@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 05:50:53 PST

Good point. You should replace head bolts when putting the head back
on. You could get away with one re-tourque, but you don't know the
history of what's there now. Head bolts are supposed to stretch when
you torque them and in doing so, make the tensile strength go up due to
work hardening. At some point, the bolt won't stretch any more because
you stop torquing before the new, work hardened, tensile strength is
reached.