Re: [MV] Amperage of M1009 alternators

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 10:31:19 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave" <gpw1942@verizon.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 7:23 AM
Subject: [MV] Amperage of M1009 alternators

> Can anyone tell me the amperage of the alternators on the M1009s? I have
> the part number, but the GM dealer says he also needs to know the
amperage.
> Thanx.

Most of the castings are stamped "100A", but they're actually rated 80A. At
least according to my local parts folks. I think your dealer is actually
thinking of the newer generation of alternators when he asks for the current
rating, as AFAIK, that particular style alternator only ever came with the
one choice of regulator and current rating.

That brings me to something else. That casting/part number may or may not
cross properly. GM in the USA might well still have the actual modified
CUCV alternators in inventory, but you're more likely to find that the
dealer will cross it over to something which looks identical - but isn't.
This isn't a problem if you install the replacement on the Driver's side,
but becomes a big problem if installing on the passenger side. The issue is
one exterior stud and associated hardware on the original CUCV alternator
which is isolated from the case (and therefore isolated from Ground), where
the Off-the-Shelf 80A alternator in that style you're likely to find
yourself handed will either not have the stud at all, or will have it
grounded to the alternator casing. If you take your defunct alternator in
with you to the dealer and visually compare it to the replacement, you'll
easily see what I'm going on about (provided, of course, that the dealer
doesn't manage to score an original CUCV one.)