Re: [MV] Only tangentially MV related but interesting nonetheless

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 11:43:10 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen & Jeanne Keith" <cckw@comcast.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Only tangentially MV related but interesting nonetheless

> I have one of the 3 piece ex manifolds. I thought they came from the
> M59? APC
>
> I have never has a problem with a CCKW or M135 ex manifold. I use
> them interchangeably. I have seen severe problems with the 4 bolt (carb)
> intake manifolds. This is the same as the civy one. I have 5 of them and
> 4 of them are either missing pieces of casting under the carb heat box
> or are cracked.

They could be for the M59 originally (same engine after all), but they were
used on the M135s as replacements as well. The original poster, myself, and
a few others went to the ranges at Cold Lake, Alberta to scavenge some parts
off of the trucks in the holding area, and one of the ones which was more or
less completely destroyed by shrapnel still had an intact 3-piece style
manifold on its decrepit GM 302. Naturally it was liberated (or
"transferred to a location more suitable for our purposes.") One of the
other local MVPA members (Hi Dan!) also managed to get one from somewhere
years ago, but to this date, those are the only two I've ever seen.

We've tried everything on our own GMC manifolds including planing them until
the 'bow' was taken out, installing them with thicker or thinner gaskets,
being mindful of the torque within a couple of pounds of the next stud - the
works - but they still bow, crack, and blow the gaskets out in short order.
GrRrrr. I can't recall whether our trucks utilize your 'four bolt' manifold
or not without looking, but the described damage certainly sounds about
right. Sure would be nice to drive it more than 300 miles in any direction
without it suddenly sounding like a Tijuana Taxi.