Re: [MV] MT-3140/GRC-106 mount

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 12:25:30 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave" <gpw1942@verizon.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 11:39 AM
Subject: [MV] MT-3140/GRC-106 mount

> Hi All,
> Anyone know what this mount is for?
> Is it for some sort of communications equipment?
> MT-3140/GRC-106 made by Atacs Corp DAAB07-81-C-0180.

It's for the AN/GRC-106 or 106A HF radios (RT-662 or RT-834 stacked with the
AM-3349 amplifier) which were installed in vehicles and in ground setups
beginning in the 1960s. You can see pictures of the components at:
http://www.fairradio.com/ground.htm

In my Canadian unit's comm vehicles, we typically had one of those sets as
our HF capability and two RT-524's for the VHF side (though some dets had no
106, and utilized a PRC-515 packset for the HF side instead.) We also had
them in the dedicated GRC-142 and 142A CRTTZ ("Crats") pods in conjunction
with secure and non-secure teletype gear, as did much of the U.S. Army.
There are quite a few installation kits about for the 106 at the moment,
though still far fewer radios themselves than I would've expected given all
the empty GRC-142(*) shelters I've seen on the market.

(Atacs made a lot of stuff for Uncle Sam, including complete field-deployed
Telephone Exchange Centrals and their associated shelters.)