Deuce trailer brake saga conclusion

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 03:37:13 PST

Greetings list. As some might remember I was having a problem with air
delivery to the brakes on my M275A2 tractor. I did determine that the tractor
protection valve was at fault and ordered a new one from the Freightliner
dealership. The one I ordered differed from the one that was supposed to be on the truck
in the fact that it has a 5th port for dash operation. Come to find out the
one on the truck also had that port but the tag on it was from one without.
The 5th port was plugged on the old one. When I installed the new TP Valve and
plugged the 5th port, the valve again didn't work. I figured that the valve
needed air at that port to work so I rigged a temp line from the airshift line
at the transfer case. Presto, it works! Rather than plumbing a line that had
air all the time and rely on the valves automatic feature, I used a bunch of
stuff from an airshift installation to rig a dash valve. This valve will be
particiularly handy for use with trailers with spring brakes as I can shut off
air from the cab and lock the trailer brakes. The switch installation actually
worked out neat. I used the same airshift bulkhead fitting from another truck
and passed it through the firewall just under the airshift one. Also used an
old airshift lever but cut the bottom off where the light was. Looks kinda
factory. Now I need to figure out a way to make a data pate to replace the front
drive axle data plate. Any suggestions?

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee FL
71 A.M. General M35A2