Brake ? - Results.

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 07:42:09 PST

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question on
Friday. Per several suggestions, I pulled the front right side wheel first
and checked out the caliper. In the process I found my brake shoes warn to
within millimeters of the wear tab noise maker, and the fluid in the master
cylinder reservoir very low.

I put the wheel back on and made a quick trip to Checker Auto where I
picked up a new set of front brake shoes, brake cleaner, and a couple
little tubes of that Teflon based brake grease.

Once home I took everything apart and found the caliper guide pins caked
with road grime and I thought rust. It's possible the brake shoes on the
right front were hanging up on these crud encrusted pins, or that the
caliper piston, at nearly full extension, wouldn't pull back properly,
resulting in abnormal braking on that side. At first I thought I'd be
hunting up new guide pins, but after a few minutes on the buffing wheel,
they cleaned up just fine. No pitting or permanent damage, just really
dirty. After a good cleaning and greasing the appropriate spots,
everything went back together simply enough.

The left side was in the same condition as the right, but went a lot
quicker since I had some practice at this point. Having the caliper
pistons pushed back raised the master cylinder fluid level significantly,
but it still needed some topping off.

Test drive went just fine... no pulling or binding front or rear.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. Saved me bleeding the entire
system, and probably still having the same problems.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
'45 WC51 Weapons Carrier
'42 GPW jeep
'84 GMC 6.2 Diesel Suburban with a brake system similar to a CUCV