M35 diesel head torquing from time to time

From: patrick jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 18:37:57 PST

After inquiring to Military truck parts Inc., about gear changing,
trannies, and trying to get 60-65 mph out of the M35, William Rogers,
the OPS manager, was good enough to advise me:

"There is no gear replacement that we know of, this vehicle was only
designed to achieve 35-40 miles a hour without over working the engine
@ high RPM, for your info watch your heads and re-torque them
bi-monthly if you continue to use in the present range of operation."

Has anyone had an issue with the heads needing re-torquing when
driving most of the time at 50-55 mph?

I drive about 1000 miles a year, mostly right at 50 MPH, never over
55, and the truck runs perfectly, but I realize that a blown head
gasket (implied by the warning?) is something I would not want to have
to deal with.

He may have thought that I was already driving it at 60-65. But I
don't ever.