Differential Gear Oil Replacement on Non-MV truck. Synthetic??

From: Vernon Tuck (vtuck@tucklings.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 05:45:11 PST

I'm probably pushing the envelope here since I'm not asking about a military
vehicle but a Dodge diesel truck.

I have an old high mileage (275K) '91 Dodge Cummins one ton flatbed dually.
I haven't owned it that long. Yesterday I took it in for an oil change and
asked 'em to suck out and replace the gear oil in the pumpkin.

It turned out that the oil was so yucky they couldn't even suck most of it
outta there. Since neither they nor I had a replacement gasket they did not
remove the cover. I asked 'em to top it off with new oil until I could get
a gasket and bring it back.

That should happen today. I'm wondering whether I should replace it with
synthetic oil.

Anybody have a strong opinion one way or da udder?

Thanks!
Vernon