M35 transmission question

From: Sean Nichols (Sean.Nichols@xilinx.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 08:40:01 PST

Greetings Esteemed Listers,

Jim Newton and I were chatting last weekend, and swapping stories of all
the "just ain't right" noises we were hearing from the transmission in
both of our deuces. We're in agreement that a rebuild wouldn't be a big
deal to do, but both of us were stumped as to what the best way to
remove the transmission is.

I seem to remember a post from Joe Young a while back that suggested the
best and easiest way to remove one is to pull the entire power pack
(engine AND transmission) together. Is this the only way? Neither Jim
nor I have an overhead beam hoist, and I'm not too sure my engine hoist
will be able to hold that much weight, let alone go high enough to lift
it in the first place. Any other options?

I defer to the collective experiences and wisdom of the list.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Sean Nichols
'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck
'71 AM General M35A2