IN TANK FUEL PUMP ON A DEUCE.

From: AVarvarigo@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 09:18:33 PST

Hello all!
Me again, I had the stalling problem on my 71 deuce after the truck would run OK for about 1/2 hr or so.
Then it would start shaking at idle and eventually die.
Long story short, I replaced all 3 filters and cleaned out the gang that was in the canisters. Bled the system and
started the truck. It run fine in place for a long time (about 45 mins or so), when I decided to move it around just as a test. I did well until when it was put in neutral and idling, now it didn't sound as smooth anymore.
A little shaky but never died.
I shut it off and left it at that for a while. As you know NYC is quite frozen right now and since there is no great need to put my truck through salty roads, I only started it once more since to the same scenario. Smooth to the idle for about 30 mins, then I moved it about the front of my house and when finally stopped driving the idle was not as smooth anymore. NEVER died though, again.
I was wondering if while it idles it doesn't require as much fuel, while as it gets moved about, it tries to suck up more diesel, in the process I am wondering if there are any screens on the fuel pump, maybe they suck up dirt and that's why it does that.
After it is off for a while (according to my unsupported theory), I am thinking that the crud falls off the screens (if there), and it works OK until the next time when under load.
Does that make sense? If so, I am wondering if I should try to remove the tank pump and check it.
What do you guys think?
Thank you,
Tony V.