The rest of the story on Sgt Keeshan

From: Bob Muller (bmuller@marathonheaters.com)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 15:02:42 PST

I was a little sad that Sgt. Keeshan (aka Capt. Kangaroo) passed away this
weekend with only a quick mention that he was a Vet. Here is the rest of
the story.

Bob
VOV

Subject: LEE MARVIN & BOB KEESHAN

Many people have always been a bit offended that Lee Marvin is buried in
a grove of 3 and 4 star generals at Arlington. His marker gives his name, rank
(PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing else. I thought to myself, damn here's
a guy who was only a
famous movie star who served his time, why the heck does he rate burial
with these guys? Well, following is the amazing answer: I always liked Lee
Marvin, but did not know the extent of his Corps experiences. Including
award of the Navy Cross. There is only one higher award...the Medal Of Honor.

Dialog From a Tonight Show ... Johnny Carson ... His guest was Lee Marvin.

Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a
Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima ... and that during the course of
that action you earned the
Navy Cross and were severely wounded." And you know how Lee was ... "Yeah,
yeah ... I got
shot square in the ass and they gave me the cross for securing a hot spot
about halfway up
Suribachi ... bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys gettin'
shot hauling you down.

But Johnny, at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew ... We both
got the Cross the same day but what he did for his Cross made mine look
cheap in comparison. The dumb bastard actually stood up on Red Beach and
directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the
  beach. That Sergeant and I have been life long friends.

  "When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a
smoke and passed it
  to me lying on my belly on the litter ..."Where'd they get you Lee?"...
  "Well Bob ... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse."

  "Johnny, I'm not lying ... Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew.
Bob Keeshan ...You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

Rest in Peace, Sarge.......