Re: [MV] Ode to the Deuce

From: djslager (djslager@icongrp.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 16:01:43 PST

List and Ron,

     Reality check
Yes there have been a number of post concerning deuce modifications. Yes
they are old trucks but old trucks with new parts can be made to do new
things, think about it (M35A3). When you said she wasn't designed to be a
daily driver in the service we drove them daily, sometimes 7 days a week
especially in times of war. Yes they needed to be fixed and repaired to
keep going to do the job in all situations just like you said. Some of the
modifications, like going to singles on the deuce was done. Am I not
correct? Modifications like free wheeling front end can be bought from
Arthur M35 products I believe for that purpose. The military should have
done it but they didn't. Changing 900 X 20 to 1100 x 20 singles was done.
But other than a few modifications as above that is about all that should be
done for there era. I do believe a lot what your saying, you are a good
person, the list is great.

Last Ode To The Deuce

Roses "Are" Red &
Violets "Are" Blue
Since you don't understand
I'll explain it to you,

I bought a deuce
because it was cheap
I bought a deuce
because it was neat,

I bought a deuce
because it was love
I bought a deuce
because it was nice like a dove,

Now I own 4
but could use even more
my wife says slow down
don't go to that "deuce store",

Now that I've got them
they will have to do
not quicker
or nimbler too,

The power is fine
and the brakes will do
I don't go fast
because I'm older than you,

The driveshafts will stay
and the axles will too
I won't change it much
and I won't paint it blue,

Green was my color
and I liked it too
Uncle Sam my commander
with Red, white and blue,

We bitched and moaned
year after year
but the deuce
just kept, haul'n gear,

To us she was pretty
and saw conflicts too
she was right there with us
in the jungle and zoo,

She saw crap then
and seeing crap now
mine are retired
they like it, n' how,

Mine are for fun
mine are for play
mine are for parades
I like it that way,

We just enjoy each other
as we pass are last days
just old vets together
enjoying the way.

    Thanks too all on the list, enjoy life while you have it. Douglas
Slager