M35A2 SVO Conversion (More questions and info!)

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 22:08:44 PST

Hello all,

Thanks all for the replies to my last post about the SVO conversion I might
be going into soon. I looked at the possible donor truck today and had a
fewthe injection pump there is a tee questions. On the main 2 fuel filters
by on the inlet of the first big filter. The tee seems to tee into the fuel
filter inlet. Of the 2 inlets of the tee, one goes to the return line to the
tank, and the other to the return line on the IP. So it seems that any bleed
off from the injector pump is sent to the main filter set, and if its too
much, it bleeds off into the return to the tank. Also it seems if the fuel
pump pressure is too much, it will return it through the tee, into the
return line, into the tank. For my conversion, I would need to take that tee
out, because when I use SVO, it will return SVO to the diesel filter set,
which isn't good. Let me back up for a second, this is really difficult to
explain in words. I will have 2 tanks, one is just another duece tank with
SVO and a coil inside to warm it up. It will have an in-tank pump to send it
to the solinoid valve. At the solinoid valve, there will be 2 inputs, diesel
and SVO. From there it will go strait into the IP. The diesel will be
filtered by the original filter set. The SVO will have a filter right before
the solinoid valve. The return will have a solinoid valve that will be wired
to the main solinoid. So the return fuel will go to the right tank. If its
SVO, it will go to the SVO tank return. If its on diesel, it will go to the
diesel tank. This is where I have questions. The return that plumbs into the
first big filter, with the tee, if I keep it there, like I said before, when
on SVO will pump svo into the diesel line. Can I just take that tee out, and
just put a coupling? Plug the hole in the filter? Or will this cause too
much back pressure and wear on the in-tank pumps? Option #2 is to take a 3rd
solinoid (This is getting more confusing, very sorry). The 3rd solinoid will
have one inlet and 2 outlets. The inlet will be the tee that used to go to
the first big diesel filter. The outputs, one will go to the place where to
tee used to be, so when the solinoid is off, it will be like a normally
plumbed duece system. As soon as the #3 solinoid is switched, it will send
that return tee line to a tee right before the SVO filter. This is keeping
the diesel and SVO seperate. If I could just plug the tee hole and put a
coupling in, it would be easy, but if it will blow pumps, il'l plumb #3
solinoid. Another thing, the fuel compensator. Right before the injector
pump there is a metal thing that is attached to the IP. It has some fittings
on it, and there are 2 tees, both have tubing that loop back to themselves.
One on the front, one near the back. This seems to be like its been taken
out of the system. Not a big deal, I think I can do without it for this
project. I have a diagram of all of this, just no way to scan it in. I hope
this makes some sense. If not, feel free to e-mail me and ask questions. I
will be out of town till friday night, so I won't be able to get back to
anyone till then.

Thanks so much!

Caleb Pal