M35 modifications

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 07:41:22 PST

Friends,

A reflection(?) on "Ode to the Deuce";

The classic 2-1/2 ton military 6x6, what exactly is it? The way it was
delivered from factory or the way it was modified for a particular
application?

US Army PS magazine is loaded with small mods and corrections pertaining to
the deuce. The TM’s contain lots and lots of variants and not all manuals
are the same. What color is “right” for the deuce? My Vietnam (1968) era
deuce came from the USMC with a non standard 4-color MERDC camo pattern
(forest green, earth yellow, sand and black). It came with partially
installed deep water fording kit and a 1970’s voltage regulator.
The vehicle was built for a long life, which would inevitable lead to
changes. I don’t think that there is anything incorrect and destructive to
the character of the deuce to make changes that will help it run or look a
little better, be it off or on the road.

Did the factory delivered deuce have a driver’s seat from a 5-ton truck? Was
the personnel heater installed without a circuit breaker, was the fuel
density compensator bypassed?

The following are some of the things I have done to my M49A2C w/winch deuce
(not one of which could not be reversed if so desired):

1)Remove 1,200 gallon tank

2)Remove winch

3)Mount 1972 HIAB knuckleboom crane (Army done that)

4)New truck bed. Ideally one from a M756 pipeline construction variant, but
since I couldn’t find one, built my own.

5)Back-up lights

6)Marker lights

7)Turn signal lights (Army done that)

8)Turn signal buzzer (same as low air pressure buzzer)

9)Converted to single 1100x20 tires along with appropriate speedometer
adapter (Army done that) and narrower truck bed (was 96, now 89 inches).

10)Separated the vent from the air-hydraulic cylinder from the fuel and
master cylinder vents (Army done that).

11)Installed a “central venting system” for axles and transfer case (Army
done that on newer vehicles)

12)Installed a crankcase breather filter (Army should have done that,
simplifies driving in water up to about 4 feet deep). Also reduces air
pollution.

13)Installed elbow on engine air intake “mushroom” (Army done that, I think)

14)Installed alcohol evaporator (Army done that)

15)Installed flame heater monitoring device (Army should have done that
considering the consequences of a non-working flame heater)

16)Installed “load dump” protection on 25Amp voltage regulator (Army should
have done that, considering the consequences of the damage to installed
electronic equipment possible from such a condition)

17)Installed turbo on naturally aspirated engine (Army done that by
replacing engine)

18)Installed pyrometer to monitor exhaust temperature

19)Installed intake manifold pressure sensor to monitor “boost pressure”

20)Experimented with separate brake lines to the rear wheels to reduce
turning radius by braking one side. (used electric brake lock from 5-ton
wrecker to lock rear wheels on one side).

21)Experimented with turn signal flasher that has filament pre heater, short
circuit protection and/or electo mechanical switching.

22)Flood lights (Army done that).
My to-do list has many more items, mostly little things, remember that the
Army modified the deuce to include a new engine, transmission, CTIS and much
more.

It is very hard to resist modifying this vehicle for some reason…
It’s like a giant erector set for big kids to play with.

The question still stands, what is a classic military 2-1/2 ton truck? How
much or how little is it modified? What about the ‘nam gun trucks? Lots of
mods there.

Leave myself wide open on this one, but that’s OK, fire away!
Have a great day!
Bjorn
Meadows of Dan, Virginia

High-speed users—be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet