Re: [MV] My big green truck won't start

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 07:00:52 PST

     I miss the crusty old, schnitzel loving FOG, (as in Foxtrot Oscar Golf,
you apply the appropriate English words) and his back channel messages.
Gotta be one of the most knowledgeable M series guys out there. I love his
droll delivery of the obvious solution to a problem that has eluded me for
days. Almost as much fun as George Manarei of VCS calling ya a 'Pinhead' for
asking a really DUMB question with a really obvious answer (another guy with
encyclopedic M series knowledge upstairs.)
       Hope RAM is back up from the Sunshine State for the MVMVC Flea Market
in March in Lowell, MA. For me, seeing him and George and the other vendors
there is what signals the start of HMV season in New England each year.
    I read whatever manuals I can regarding a procedure before I start in. I
like the -209's for insight and the -361's for nostril leading. When I did
the rear seal, bearings and brakes on my Deuce, I used both, but the -361's
gave precise torque figures for the axle nuts, where the 209's gave the
older ' tighten until drag is felt, then back off a smidge' method. Shows
the money is no object mentality of today, where now ya gotta have a Torque
wrench where 40 years ago the job was done with a big pair of Channel Locks
or the right size wrench and some Kentucky windage. The fact that our trucks
are still around today is proof that the old ways work just fine.
    I also do a search of the PS Monthly archives before I start a project,
though I think I've now downloaded most of the relevant articles on most of
the crap I've got by now. (Go to
http://www.logsa.army.mil/psmag/archive2004.htm )
    As to your 9-8022 on ebay...I've been banned from buying on ebay by the
Missus since I don't seem to have any self restraint (or common sense) when
I get on there. Getting into a bidding war with another dope and paying $60
bucks for a muffler on my deuce plus S&H from CA when I could have bought it
from Saturn for 1/2 that or ending up with 15 Big Bang Cannons in a 3 month
period was almost my undoing. When she caught on I was bidding over $400 on
a NIB Remco Whirlybird from '62 (I got one for my 9th birthday- I didn't get
it...went for over $600) and $275 for a Remco Monkey Division Bazooka, she
dropped the hammer. So now I have to use PMO's and get things shipped to
other folks addresses, but it's too much trouble ( and painful when she
catches on, like when we put a bunch of the kids Christmas presents in the
storage area and the two big LONG boxes of M715 parts from AB Linn fell on
her and she saw the ship date and ebay reference on the shipping label, felt
like Ralph Cramden, hubba duh, hubba duh...) so I try not to go ebaying,
unless one of you guys give a pointer to something neat.
    Gene had a real good deal on an M35 manual CD not long ago. How about it
Gene?
    Ron (zo)