My big green truck won't start

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@charter.net)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 14:24:01 PST

Hello folks,
I just returned from a fairly long and expensive trip. After having a shop
replace the rear main oil seal in the engine as well as replacing the entire
clutch assembly the truck was brought home without incident. Oh yeah, they
also changed the oil and filters. Due to time constraints they were unable
to get to the fuel filters and I drove it home to change them here,
approximately 250 miles.

The truck ran exceptionally well.

I parked it with the intention of starting the project of mounting a snow
plow on the truck. However, the snow and temps. below freezing set in first
and I worked on some other problems.

I did try to start the truck several times and it just would not start. I
tried either (canned starting spray) sprayed into the breather both with and
without the filter element and the truck will fire off a second or so then
quit. I had my son press the start button while I sprayed and the truck
still would not start. I checked the fuel tank and it looks okay, I do have
winter fuel in it and have filled the tank with this only for the last three
fill ups of about 40 gallons each time.

Today I tried to get it to start, discovered one of the battery chargers
that I am using quit over the past few days also, it would not start. The
engine spins over at it's normal rate and when it was driving home the oil
pressure stayed at about 45 psi.

Today I removed the old fuel filters and put in new ones, all three. I bled
the fuel filters as the manual says and that seems to be okay. The fuel
pump is working very well so I know it is getting fuel to at least the
filters.

The engine manifold heater (switch on the left side of the dash) also seems
to be working. At least when I flip it on the amp meter goes to the
negative just a little. Not the most exacting test but does show that
electricity is flowing through it.

Darkness, wind and more cold have moved in also. So, that along with my
aching bones said to "H" "E" double toothpicks to it and came inside for the
day.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone would like to respond off list, my email address is:
cwkealey@charter.net

Thanks,

Bill K.
MVPA #24623