M880 lock outs

From: John Doherty (mofta@hiwaay.net)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 09:58:16 PST

I put a set of MileMarker lockouts on my M886. It made a LOT of difference.
Less vibration, better mileage, less tire wear. I installed them as part of
a part-time 4x4 kit, that included a locking ring that went into the
transfer case to disengage the front axle, converting the unit to 2 wheel
drive when wanted.

The conversion to the lock out hubs on the front axle should not be tackled
by the less than mechanically inclined with a good set of tools though. It
should be accompanied by replacing the bearings, which is a chore without
the right equipment. Always check your pitman arm, drag link and tie rod
ends at the same time, they may need replacing too. And can account for a
lot of front end wander on this series. Allow a full day for a good
mechanic with all the parts at the ready, and at least a full weekend for a
part-timer. If you want to tear it down for inspection and then order
parts, take it out of service for a couple of weekends, depending on where
you get your parts.

 http://www.milemarker.com/4x2conversion.html

You'll probably want the 603 kit for the 3/4 ton unit. But make sure of
what you've got to work with.

Good luck with the conversion, I believe it's really worth the effort and
expense, if you plan on keeping the truck.

John Doherty
MOFTA Inc.