My CUCV engine is FUBAR

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 15:27:35 PST

Well, if you guys will recall, I posted a similar message a couple of weeks
ago, but I didn't know what was wrong with it at the time. Remeber, it died
all of a sudden when I pulled up beside my deuce and I thought it was a bad
electric lift pump. Today I found out for sure what happened. I worked
Saturday afternoon and this morning and tore the front off of the engine.
When I got it tore down, I discovered the problem rather quickly. The cam
bolt had vibrated out allowing the cam to work its way back into the engine
farther and farther eventually to the point where the pump driving gear fell
off the end of the shaft. This is why the engine died. After the pump gear
fell off the timing gear the worked its way off of the key and the cam
jumped time. This happened after the engine died because it wasn't until I
was trying to bleed the imaginary air out of the injection lines for about
20 min. that it started blowing air up through the intake on several
cylinders. Now there was also the issue of oil coming out the back of the
engine. Isn't there a plug in the end of the block right behind the cam?
Maybe the cam worked back enough to dislodge it? An even worse thought is
what if the cam went back enough to allow the lifters to drop off of their
cam lobes? Then, I won't be able to pull the cam forward without pulling
the lifters up out of the way. I couldn't try to pull the cam forward today
because the end of the cam bolt had been all galled by the cam after it
slipped forward, maybe it screwed up the threads in the cam too.
Arrghhhhh!!! This sucks! Any thoughts? I am thinking the engine will have
to come out and be tore apart to make sure that all is well. Crap!
Chris

Chris Stansbury, O.D.
1301 Lee Street East
Charleston, WV 25301