Deuce Transmission Problem, Continued...

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 17:28:57 PST

Hi List...

(I know this is a long message, so if you know anything about deuce
trannies, please take a minute to read it.)

How amazing it is that I received about 15 replies with suggestions as
to what could be wring with my deuce trans. This list is truly a
godsend to all MV owners.

Also thank you to one of my (unnamed) green friends here in the area
who helped me get the deuce home last night at midnight by hooking it
to his brand new (read "still under warranty") 3/4-ton Ford Power
Stroke diesel pickup's pintle hitch with the medium military towbar
and pulling it with ease for 7 miles on surface roads. I was at the
wheel of the deuce to give it a little help around the tight corners,
and I assisted in braking both of us with the engine idling to keep
the air charged up. It worked amazingly well, and we rolled along at
around 25 MPH most of the way. I would never suggest doing such a
thing without a safety driver at the deuce's controls just in case! I
think the deuce would just push the pick up right along through the
stoplight, and there could be a danger of jackknifing.

***************************************

Now to my further deuce transmission questions:

I took off the top of the transmission as many of you recommended so I
can see the gears (it is very cool that you can do that on a deuce!).
Then, I started the motor and tried to drive the truck a little to see
what gear was actually slipping and making the grinding noise.
Bingo...it appears to be the "input shaft integral gear" that is
slipping, and sparks actually can be seen coming off the gear.

So I know that is where the noise is coming from. That is good. I
know it is not just the shifting forks (the set screw bolts have
safety wire on them still) or the clutch spines. When the slippage
occurs, I can see the input shaft integral gear spinning, but the
countershaft stops spinning as soon as the grinding and slipping
begins.

If you take a look at figure 3-5 in TM 9-2520-246-34 (here is an
excerpted PDF file with just those pages in it):

  http://www.cucv.net/trans.pdf

you will see the "input shaft integral gear". This gear is the one
that when you look at the gears with the top of the transmission
removed, it is the one on top towards the bell housing end of the
transmission. Here is a photo of my transmission gears:

  http://www.cucv.net/gears_01.jpg
  http://www.cucv.net/gears_02.jpg
  http://www.cucv.net/gears_03.jpg

There is a lot of wear on the input shaft integral gear, but I don't
think there is enough wear to make it slip out from the other gear. So
I'm thinking maybe the bearings or journals on the mainshaft and
countershaft are worn, and are allowing the shafts to move apart from
each other so the gears slip.

After looking at figure 3-12, View F in TM 9-2520-246-34, I noticed
that 5th gear seems not to use the countershaft at all which is
usually engaged by the input shaft integral gear. So I just shifted
into 5th gear by moving the 4th/5th gear sliding gear forward into the
5th gear position and ran the engine to engage the drive, and the
input shaft integral gear did NOT slip or grind since the countershaft
is completely bypassed in 5th gear.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU
-----------------
1.) From your experience, if the bearings on the mainshaft and
countershaft have failed or worn excessively, can that actually cause
the mainshaft and countershaft to spread apart from each other enough
under strain to allow the input shaft integral gear and the 5th gear
on the countershaft to slip?

2.) Funds are tight right now...is it better to try to replace the bad
parts (bearings and gears) on this transmission or buy a good takeout
transmission?

3.) Depending on the answer to question #2, who can supply parts or a
good takeout transmission (how much would the takeout transmission
cost including shipping, and where is it located)?

Any suggestions for further diagnosis are welcomed!

Thank you all as always!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See These Trucks at www.CUCV.NET Keyword Searching of 22,000 Electronic TMs at www.MILDOCS.com