Re: [MV] M35 Batteries

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 00:58:10 PST

         625 cold cranking amps per 6-TL

         I highly recommend not using maintenance free batteries as you
can't top off the cells with water. If every HMV owner who has had a
voltage regulator fail on him and try to cook your batteries would please
state what they use for batteries. Another advantage of using the correct
6-TL is it fits the battery tray on a deuce, also in my experience the
thicker lead plates on a 625 cca battery lasts longer and are what the
original manufacturer recommends for a replacement battery. A higher cca
battery like 1000 cca i used to use in my car has thinner lead plates and
is more prone to cracks and shorting between lead plates in each battery cell.
         I was using a 1000 cca battery on my 86 Lincoln Town car and
replacing it every 24-30 months..went back to a standard 625 cca which is
what Ford recommends and it's still going 4 years later. Same alternator
for the last 5 years right at 13.8 volts.

Jim