Re: [MV] some deep water there fella...underwater shot of truck

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 07:53:38 PST

Kenny, my deuce is pretty much "fording ready", but I'm still working on my
pond... as usual money and budgeting is a factor.

There WILL be a "part 2" to the fording project. There will be plenty of
pictures and a short(?) video.
I explained before that there are no suitable places to test the fording
capabilities of the deuce within 25 miles of my home and I'm not about to
risk getting stuck in a river somewhere (like the unlucky fellow in West
VA).
With the pond, I can control the depth of the water and experiment with a
lot of stuff, including a bilge pump to keep the driver (me) dry to a full 6
feet of water (top of door).

The article itself is written except for the actual fording experience.

About the man in the WVA flood, I don't believe that he entered the water
when it was as deep as shown in the picture, but for anything deeper than 3
feet he should have plugged the bell housing and extended the crankcase
breather tube. It takes about 4 feet to submerge the fan 1/2 way and from
video clips I have studied, the fan just keeps churning away and with the
right side panel removed (which it is during fording), the water is just
splashed out to the side.
According to the manuals, the engine should be kept at about 2000 rpm to
keep from stalling. This helps in keeping the pressure of the exhaust system
up as well, in case of leaks in the exhaust pipe. The naturally aspirated
engine has the muffler and part of the exhaust pipe under water as low as 2
feet...

Thanks for your loyalty and interest!

There WILL be a part 2 to the fording article.

Bjorn