Re: [MV] FS: Used snow chains for 900x20 tires

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 18:56:02 PST

Doug,
Comments regarding the dual-to-single rear wheel conversion have been posted
several times in the past, so I'll try to put it differently this time.
First off, pictures posted at the following URL show the procedure for
flipping the hubs over (among other things):

<http://imageevent.com/cranetruck>

When switching to singles in the rear it is advantageous to install new 20"
steel wheels as well, that increase the track width of the vehicle. These
wheels are "dished out" in such a way that the tire ends up about 3-1/2
inches further out for a final track width of 72 inches. The same wheels
should be installed in the front so that the wheels follow in the same
track. That arrangement is better off-road, in mud, snow etc. With the duals
in the rear, all the tires make their own tracks, three different tracks.
The NSN # for the new wheels is 2530-00-738-9618. They should be available
at dealers such as Memphis Equipment for about $95.00/ea.
You may stay with 900x20 tires, but 1100x20's are nice with the 12-ply
construction and more load carrying capacity.
The larger tires and the singles config changes the center of gravity of the
vehicle. The theoretical tip-over angle for the duals config is 47 degrees
(empty vehicle) vs 40 degrees for the singles.
The turning circle is reduced with the singles. Perhaps as much as 5 feet.
With 1100x20 tires you need a new speedometer adapter. The original one has
a ratio of 0.187:1 and the one required for 1100x20 tires has a ratio of
0.200:1. It is found on the transfer case and is not difficult to change.
Changing tire size is equivalent to changing the final drive gear ratio. For
a given engine speed the truck will run about 7% faster.
There is also a weight saving of about 400 lb in using fewer tires, although
a spare is now needed. With the duals a spare is not really needed.

I think this is enough for now. Personally I prefer the singles
configuration.

Have a great day!
Bjorn
Meadows of Dan, Virginia