M1009 Alternator Problems

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 20:59:53 PST

Hello all,

Well today was hell for me and my m1009. I shut it off at the mechanics shop
to talk to him about working on our Fire depts m1008. when I shut it down, I
hear a small noise, didn't think much of it. When I went to leave, the #2
alternator light, or passenger side, 12-24 volt alternator, was on. Red as
can be. I instantly shut it down. I opened the hood, smalled something
burning, thought it might be the belt. Well The top bolt had sheared, and
the alternator went flying towards the engine. The negative terminal for
24V, but really the hot for 12V, went flying into the diesel return line,
and put a hole in it. It welded itself to the line. It broke the wire from
heat, the burning smell, so gotta get a butt connector in there. I have to
remove the bolt from the alternator, and get a new one. Any ideas for
removing that? It wont come out, not much sticking out to grab on to. The
lower alternator bracket also broke. That the only part I really need, and
possibly the return line, if someone has one availible. Does anyone have
either of these 2 parts?

Thanks so much!

Caleb Pal