Re: [MV] SD33 starter

From: Dave Reed (dave.reed@dol.net)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 12:40:27 PST

Vernon and others interested-
My daily driver is an 82 Nissan SD22 diesel pickup and also a 82
Maxima LD28. The LD28 starter will not fit the SD22 or SD33. The
Maxima starter is on the passenger side, the SD22 and SD33 is on
the drivers side. Some parts such as drives are available from
starter rebuilders. The SD22 is the 4 cylinder version of the six
cylinder SD33. The SD33 is used in marine and forklift
applications and also as stated earlier in the IHC diesel Scout that
always rusted out. The SD33 may have also been used in a 78 or
so dodge pickup as a diesel option. I have seen starters for the
SD33 on Ebay before and they look just like my SD22 starter.
Very few parts are interchangeable between the SD and LD series.
SD is overhead valves and LD has overhead cam. The SD is more
of an industrial long stroke engine and the LD is a "square" stroke
high speed diesel. It in not unusual to get 300,000 miles out of one
with little more than oil changes, water pumps, idler pulleys, and
injector pump drive belt maintenance. No I don't have any spare
starters for the SD22. Let me know if i can help more.
Dave Reed
Elkton MD
Can't wait for Churchville.
68KaiserM35a2W/W
trailers, generators, M38A1and other assorted mil-junk.