Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 21:30:06 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?

At 12:49 AM +0000 2/14/04, noel shelley wrote:
>Hi All ,
> The roll bars would need some very careful thought . Bearing
in
>mind the weight of the vehicle and the fact that very little may stand
above
>the hood and sides caperbable of load bearing . The structure would have to
>be very substantial and heavyly braced on to the chassis .
>Though not a pleasant thought , you might be safer thrown clear rather than
>traped in twisted metal .

> I'd rather stay in the cab than get tossed out and have the truck roll
over me.

I don't have the URL handy, but the US Army actually stated they were going
to upgrade the M936 series trucks with a form of roll cage as the cabs were
replaced due to attrition from rust (due to the expense involved in
replacing cabs otherwise perfectly serviceable.) This, in addition to an
upgrade to convert the braking systems on the M936 series to the ABS type,
came about after an unacceptable number of crew deaths due to rollover
accidents under certain conditions. I haven't seen the design for the 'roll
cage', nor have I seen any in service - but the PAM is out there in the
greater 'networld if someone wants to look it up.

(I realize the I-70 truck wasn't an M936 variant, but it's topical to the
conversation of roll cages in 5-tons nevertheless)