Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 21:48:09 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geno" <truks@cs.quik.com>
To: "chance wolf" <chance_wolf@shaw.ca>; "MV LIST" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?

> Total waste of time..
> There is no roll bar set-up that would withstand the weight of a Deuce or
5
> ton --sliding ---roof down .. Think about it..17 thousand pounds --sliding
> on a "pipe" cage.. Duh,,,..You test it guys !! I'll buy the life insurance
> on the driver..
> It would have to go through the body to the frame...and be at least 4"
> diameter..to even begin to look like it would work.
> Drive the vehicle like it was meant to be driven - and forget about
putting
> it on it's roof.. Gene

Ideally all vehicles should be driven shiny-side up, paws down - but things
don't always work out that way. Seems like TACOM must've done at least a
*little* research into it before adopting the cage idea as a policy (at
least on paper), so someone must've done the math - even if raw physics does
make it seem somewhat...optimistic. I've had a 1009 on its roof, and...it's
not something I'd care to try with one of its big brothers.