Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?

From: John Paulding (kb9wle@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 22:05:56 PST

Well, I don't know of a mil one other than what is on
the pipeline maint. truck. Roscommon Equipment
Center, who modify mil vehs for wildland firefighting
do have plans on their website for 1/4" thick cab
roofs, heavy brush guards, and limb guards.
http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com

You really need two roll bars, one on the hood (like a
brush guard) and one behind the cab. If you only have
the forward one, then obviously the cab gets crushed.
If you only have one behind the cab you leave the
possibility of the forward part of the cab being
crushed in the unlikely situation that the truck comes
to rest on it's hood and the rear roll bar.

I think the solution is to have a heavy brush guard
like Roscommon Equipment's, and a braced roll bar like
you see in the back of pickups. Naturally it would be
heavier (i'm thinking 4" XXS pipe).

Obviously none of this will work if you are trying to
keep the vehicle in "as issued" condition.
Of course, the question becomes what is the liklihood
of a rollover in a deuce as compared with any other
heavy straight truck. I have yet to see a civy
straight truck have anything more than marginal
rollover protection......

just my $0.02

John