Re: [MV] ROLL CAGES AND RISK FACTORS

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2004 - 09:37:52 PST

>if you ever roll over a jeep, you better hope you are thrown clear

I saw an accident two years ago in the back woods of Maine. Idiot going
WAY too fast in a Jeep CJ came upon a downhill slope he couldn't
negotiate at that speed (rutted, potholed, heaved up rocks, etc.). He
and his dog were ejected and suffered only minor injuries. The Jeep, on
the other hand, did some flips and wound up upside down. If he were
still in it, he could have been burried in a shoe box. I mean, with all
his bones broken I'm sure he could squeeze into one!

So yeah, I'd agree with Noel and Bobby Joe, that if you are in inhrently
less safe vehicle (i.e. a soft top without cage vs. common vehicle) you'd
be better off getting ejected than staying put in situations where
rolling was a possibility. Of course it isn't like you can make this
choice when being hit by a semi or suddenly realizing that only one wheel
is in contact with the Earth. So be CAREFUL about how you conduct
yourself and pay extra attention to how others conduct themselves.

Funny thing was the CJ guy had the nerve to tell the Wardens that he was
only doing 25mph! Maybe he and his dog were doing about that as they hit
the ground, but the Jeep was certainly doing about twice that when they
fell out. Just goes to prove that you don't have to be smart to get lucky.

Steve