RE: [MV] Amber Lites

From: Mike Maynard (mike@wesleyscott.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 12:49:20 PST

Lar, and APB

The complete section of the law is as follows.... Clear lights are
unacceptable on any vehicle other than an emergency vehicle... see below
for the real details.. :-) Its actually quite interesting to read the
V&T Laws... Anyone interested and see them as they wish at
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=128 be warned... lots o legal
mumble jumble there... :-)

41. Colored and flashing lights. The provisions of this subdivision
shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than
those lights required by law. 1. No light, other than a white light, and
no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white
light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as
prescribed herein.
  2. Red lights and certain white lights. One or more red or combination
red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving,
rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be
affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be
displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is
engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while
returning from an alarm of fire or other emergency.
  3. Amber lights. a. One or more amber lights may be affixed to a
hazard vehicle, and such a light or lights which display an amber light
visible to all approaching traffic under normal atmospheric conditions
from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle shall be
displayed on a hazard vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in a
hazardous operation. Such light or lights shall not be required to be
displayed during daylight hours provided at least two red flags visible
from a distance of five hundred feet are placed both in or on the front
of, and to or on the rear of the vehicle and two such flags are placed
to each side of the vehicle open to traffic. Such lights or flags need
not be displayed on the vehicle when the vehicle is operating, or
parked, within a barricaded work area and said lights or flags are
displayed on the barricade. The provisions of this subdivision shall not
prohibit the temporary affixing and display of an amber light to be used
as a warning on a disabled motor vehicle or on a motor vehicle while it
is stopped on a highway while engaged in an operation which would
restrict, impede or interfere with the normal flow of traffic.
  b. In any city in this state having a population of one million or
more, one amber light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned or
operated by a volunteer member of a civilian or crime patrol provided
such volunteer civilian or crime patrol member has been authorized in
writing to so affix an amber light by the police commissioner of the
municipality in which he patrols, which authorization shall be subject
to revocation at any time by the police commissioner who issued the same
or his successor in office. Such amber light may be operated by such
volunteer civilian or crime patrol member in such a vehicle only when
engaged in a patrol operation as defined and authorized by rules and
regulations promulgated by the police commissioner and only in such a
manner and at such times as may be authorized by the police commissioner
pursuant to said rules and regulations.
  4. Blue light. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle
owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle
owned by a member of such person`s family residing in the same household
or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary
interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer
firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by
the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a
member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time
by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such
blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on
such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of
blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire
vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited
and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only
by a volunteer firefighter as provided for in this paragraph.
  5. Green light. One green light may be affixed to any motor vehicle
owned by a member of a volunteer ambulance service, or on a motor
vehicle owned by a member of such person`s family, or by a business
enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which
he is employed, provided such member has been authorized in writing to
so affix a green light by the chief officer of such service as
designated by the members thereof. Such green light may be displayed by
such member of a volunteer ambulance service only when engaged in an
emergency operation.
  As used in this paragraph volunteer ambulance service means: a. a
non-profit membership corporation (other than a fire corporation)
incorporated under or subject to the provisions of the membership
corporations law, or any other law, operating its ambulance or
ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members
thereof and their families or of the community or under a contract with
a county, city, town or village pursuant to section one hundred
twenty-two-b of the general municipal law; or
  b. an unincorporated association of persons operating its ambulance or
ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members and
their families or of the community.
  6. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate regulations with
respect to the affixing and display of colored lights and to promulgate
specifications with respect to such lights.
  7. The provisions of this subdivision forty-one shall not be
applicable to vehicles from other states or from the Dominion of Canada
which have entered this state to render police, fire or civil defense
aid, or ambulance service, while such vehicles are here or are returning
to their home stations if the lights on such vehicles comply with the
laws of their home states or the Dominion of Canada and are displayed in
this state in the same manner permitted by their home states or the
Dominion of Canada, nor shall the provisions of this subdivision
forty-one be deemed to amend, supersede or in any manner affect the
provisions of the New York state defense emergency act as now in force
or as it may be amended from time to time.
  8. The provisions of this subdivision shall not be applicable to the
driver of a vehicle from another state or foreign jurisdiction which
vehicle has colored lights affixed but not revolving, rotating,
flashing, oscillating or constantly moving if the lights on such vehicle
comply with the laws of the state or home foreign jurisdiction in which
the vehicle is registered.