Re: [MV] HMMWV radial & Bias tires & rims

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 20:06:05 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "gundocmike" <gundocmike@okplus.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 7:25 PM
Subject: [MV] HMMWV radial & Bias tires & rims

> I have a HMMWV that has the bias ply military tires, I am wanting to
switch to radial tires. My
> question is, will the radial tires fit on the bias rims? Both are 16.5
inch
> TIA
> Mike

They fit, but the radial rims have more bolts holding them together than do
the bias ply rims. I believe the official military line is that since the
radials run at a higher road psi than the bias ply tires, you can't mount
them on the bias ply rims, or they'll blow themselves off (or up). Having
said that, we've got radials on a couple of the HMMWVs at work mounted on
bias ply rims, and I think we just run them at a lower psi. I wasn't around
when they did that, but...well...haven't had any problems since, so...