Second Wave of M35 Questions

From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 20:12:18 PST

Before I get into my next round of questions, I wanted to start a story
thread. ;) Anyone have experiences with their deuce causing people to
respect traffic laws and right of ways? Make the surrounding people a
little more courteous? ;) What were the biggest things you noticed about
the people around you after the first few days/weeks of ownership?

Well guys, I went and looked at the thing in person. Its missing things
like the spare tire carrier, and minor things like that. Some of the door
handles are loose feeling (like they're ready to fall off) and the
windshield seal looks like it might be wanting...but I can't expect a 1960s
rig to be showroom quality I guess.. ;)

I learned something. I can buy a schwigfire or whatever its called for
$205 in good condition. Is it worth that much cash? Supposed to be able
to heat the water from -50 to 180F in 20 minutes.

Its got a 30,000 auxiliary diesel heater for the cab ( he said it was diesel)
He said it had the troop area heater too.
Air ride seat
Air shift front end
Includes the 400 page operator manual (same thing that the TM things off
the net are I guess, described as "rare" ;) )
Engine+transmission were replaced by military in 1989-1990 with a turbo
multifuel and have about 2-2.4k miles on them

Bad things:
-one 920 and one 1120 on the front end. :| MUST swap tires and test drive
6x6 action before buying. ;)
-Two incredibly bald NDTs on one side of the middle rear axle. I didn't
know they could get this bald. the things were flat!!! :O
-general things that would nickel and dime me

What do you guys think? Is it still worth it? I know I will/need to get
over my "looks perfect from 25 feet, looks 40 years old at 4 feet". ;) If
you don't remember, it is for sale at $4200 and all the pictures are
available here http://users.superford.org/bronco85/Misc%20Pictures/2.5%20duce/

Almost like it was "meant to be", I stopped by the truck yard on my way
home to check out their M35s (for reference on the availability and
condition of other M35s). I saw two full school bus residue vehicles. I
don't know where they came from. The things were still on tow trucks
missing a significant amount of the front end. My dream...cut off the back
12ft long x 4ft high of the rear end and make a hard top for the
bed!!! Save a few seats too, and they have a real nice rear door too. Now
expand that. Make a canvas accordion transition to the bus half and put a
personal license plate on it like "my other SUV seats 30". Now that will
get the yugo gus upset. :D

I will call the place on monday and see what I can do. ;) I'm hoping that
the rule of garbage is garbage until someone wants it rule does not apply
to their generosity towards pricing. Free? ;)