RE: [MV] Original paint color for M135?

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 08:41:01 PST

Hi
Your choice of paint is good considering what is available today. Back
in the 1950's the actually paint used was 24084. This was a semi gloss
OD. It was an Alkyd Base paint with high solids and lead. Acrylic
enamels were not available or used then. Later this paint was replced
by semi gloss OD 24087 in acrylic enamel. They look very close but not
exactly the same if you see two trucks side by side with 24084 and 24087
on them. The color of the 24084 seems to slightly more green tint in
the mix. The two paints spray totally differently due to the alkyd
enamel flashing off slower. It is easier to keep the moving wet line
going without getting dusting with the 24084 but naturally it runs
easier. It takes much longer to dry also before you can handle painted
items. I have painted 3 trucks with it and it is nicer to handle in the
gun. If you are a purist it is the exact paint you want but is just
about impossible to find today. Ocasionally you will see it at rallys.
The 24087 does a very nice job as a replacement for the old fashioned
lead-alkyd 24084. Both paints age in the sun.

Later
Glenn