Re: [MV] mail call

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 12:39:34 PST

The US DOD wanted to eliminate the last Mogas consuming vehicle in the
inventory...that's right...it was the Kawasaki Military Motorcycle now
converted by Kawasaki to run as a Diesel not a Multifuel. Diesel fuel is
plentiful on the battlefield but Mogas was a pain in the Supply troops
butt. I read about bike going from Mogas to Diesel/JP-8 over 8 months ago.
Excellent reasons to make change..better fuel economy and far better torque
at just off idle speed and up.

To those who take an interest in matters Military, it's common knowledge
that NATO has embarked on a one fuel policy due to the fact it's cheaper
and safer to have all their vehicles running on the same substance, ie:
diesel. Obviously they had a slight problem when it came to motorcycles and
both the British and United States Army's have embarked on various ventures
to see how feasible it would be to convert existing bikes to diesel. The
British converted a Royal Enfield engine to run on diesel and invited Fred
Hayes of HDT over to try it out. Things went very well and R.M.C.S. landed
the contract to design a completely new engine for the Marine Corps. After
2003 Petrol will no longer be allowed aboard U.S. warships and so the Corps
needed to replace their existing bikes with something that used an
alternative fuel.

                 See the link below to read about the real thing. Note the
M number assigned by DOD...sort of seems like a now standard issue item.

http://motorcyclecity.com/Military-bikes/M1030Diesel-Kawasaki.htm

James Shanks
n1vbn@arrl.net
1998 IMZ 8.103