Re: [MV] WW II OD (was) Original paint color for M135?

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 06:52:35 PST

Generally I agree with Steve,

My 1953 M37 was originally painted with a color that could have been a 23070.
The vehicle was later repainted with this same color of OD. During this period
the truck had large stars. The star on the hood covered most of the hood as
did the star on the doors. At some point, the truck was primed with a red
oxide and a darker OD applied. I believe this was 24087. The truck was
painted once more during it's service life, again in what appears to be 24087.
While in the darker OD, the stars on the hood and the doors were significantly
smaller in size. I assume, because of poor paint durability, the truck was
painted (in the 23070 ?) 2 or 3 years after it's factory paint, and again
around 1960 (in the 24087). The final repaint may have been applied in the
late 60's or early 70's. The truck was surplused from the Ft. Sill golf course
in the late 70's.

I have read, on the internet, that OD 319 was a late war specification for the
Army Air Force for use on their aircraft. The reference stated the paint was
not produced in WW-II and only limited quantities were produced as there was
little need for the paint in peace time.

I have heard there was a difference in the OD used in WW-II. Most often I have
heard the early war vehicles should be a lighter OD (more olive in color) on
early war vehicles and a darker OD (more green in color) on late war vehicles.

So... what color OD should be used on WW-II production vehicles? Jeeps?
Dodges? Chevys? GMCs? Halftracks? Armored Cars? Tanks?

I do not believe there was only one OD used by a specific vehicle producer.
There may have been "one" specification for OD in WW-II, but the shade would
have varied slightly from batch to batch, more so from paint manufacturer to
paint manufacturer.

And while we are discussing paints... Did the USAF ever use a semi-gloss
Strata Blue. I vote no. ...but then again, the semi-gloss blue is available
from Gillespie and the full gloss is not? Is this another "dart throw" at the
FS-595 book by a vendor.