Re: [MV] WW II OD (was) Original paint color for M135?

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 20:08:47 PST

>Claude wrote,

>I have read, on the internet, that OD 319 was a late war specification for the
>Army Air Force for use on their aircraft. The reference stated the paint was
>not produced in WW-II and only limited quantities were produced as there was
>little need for the paint in peace time.

   Well, this will come as quite a shock for my cans of # 319 Lusterless Olive Drab paint......as they are clearly dated 1944 right on the cans.
   # 319 is not a ANA (Army Navy Aeronautical) number for Olive Drab paint.

Also , # 319 paint is listed in the 1944 SNL K-1 stock listings and was indeed produced and used in WW II.

What you read is incorrect.

>I have heard there was a difference in the OD used in WW-II. Most often I have
>heard the early war vehicles should be a lighter OD (more olive in color) on
>early war vehicles and a darker OD (more green in color) on late war vehicles.

Again, this is incorrect. Documentation in the National Archives, Willys Motors, GMC, White, Mack and Ford data and QMC/ORD publications prove that only one color was used in production.

>So... what color OD should be used on WW-II production vehicles? Jeeps?
>Dodges? Chevys? GMCs? Halftracks? Armored Cars? Tanks?

Lusterless Olive Drab for all of these.

>I do not believe there was only one OD used by a specific vehicle producer.
>There may have been "one" specification for OD in WW-II, but the shade would
>have varied slightly from batch to batch, more so from paint manufacturer to
>paint manufacturer.

   Why? Please support this with documentation. While you might believe this statement to be true the actual facts prove otherwise.

Also, please explain how new cars can be made for a year of production and all the parts match in color.................if this can be done today it could be (and was) done in WW II as well. What you are saying I hear all the time from people who do not understand how paint mixing in volume for production is actually done. They also do not have knowledge of how paint was tested and purchased by the QMC and the vehicle producers.

Jim Gilmore