Turbo Sound / Dash Lights / Nuclear Switch

From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 02:44:57 PST

I test drove the M35 tonight. This was the first time I've driven
something that big. :) Pretty unique, especially since on the backroads
of Eagle River there is shear ice. I'll have to learn how to drive all
over again!

Are the dash lights supposed to be turned off by the main electrical
switch? The dash lights stayed on when I turned the switch to off. I
didn't see, but are there high beams on the thing?

Anyway, the engine started very quickly (about 25F) and only required a few
taps of the throttle before it idled smooth. It has been upgraded to the
turbo (I found the exhaust pipe style, and saw the turbo squirrel cage
thing). But it didn't whistle like the other M35 I heard at the truck
yard. Are there multifuel turbo diesel engines used in the M35 series in
the 1989-90 range?

The engine has 1963 miles on it. This new engine replaced the old engine
in 1989-1990. I'm not sure if the engine was brand new at that time, or
old stock. There were no indications on the dash to leave the engine
running to cool the turbo thing, so it probably didn't have a turbo the
first time.

Its registered as a 1965 Jeep with body style KC (I think).

Is the turbo diesel engine supposed to whistle when it runs? Maybe I
didn't run it long enough to warm it up? Good? Bad?

The spare tire carrier isn't missing, I think. Just the spare tire. I'm
not sure how the spare tire carrier works, it might even all be
present. Everything looks in great shape...and other than backing up with
the winter canvas, I love it!!!

And lastly, I think I remember the nuclear war switch in the middle saying
soemthing about it turning off the electrical system. Why does it need to
do that? Can't it just turn off the vents? Should I turn the electrical
switch off or pull the engine stop knob first? :)

Grant