Re: [MV] WW II OD

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 20:36:23 PST

Doug wrote:
>Jim
>
> > ES-474, 474a, 474b and the later ES - 680 were the painting
> > specification and they included the paint, primer, thinner,
> > metal prep and application of the paint on production vehicles
> > and on the use of Lusterless Olive Drab.
>
>Do you have any idea why they didn't use some sort of impermeable
>metal prep instead of the flat red zinc chromate or red lead (don't
>know which it is).
>So many vehicles and parts I have seen although well painted, had
>rust underneath the paint, due as far as I can tell to water
>absorbtion through the paint.

   This is usually due to improper metal prep before painting the item. Metal prep specs. were changed during the war due to this.

>Personally, I use an undercoat of gloss over the anti-corrosion coat
>in order to seal it then add a coat of flat or semi-flat as needed.
>
>My experience is that if all coats are flat, then corrosion will
>occur underneath, no matter how good the specs are of the anti-
>corrosion paint and subsequent paints.

You are correct. However, you may not know that WW II Lusterless Olive Drab MUST be used with the proper rust-inhibiting primer.
   This was spelled out in the QMC specs.

   Lusterless Olive Drab paint had a average life span of 18 months. It was to be repainted after this time with another coat or OD.

Jim Gilmore