an addition to earlier

From: Doc Bryant (rbhonk1@cox.net)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 01:47:25 PST

Another thing I wanted to touch upon....

The neat thing about this hobby is that there are many different views on
the word "restoration." As I have put it, I am not going to do a 100 point
super perfecto restoration job on my M37. My late father had an outfit
restore for him a 1937 Ford four door convertible. It was stunning. He
never drove it. He did not want to mess it up. I boogered up the hood one
day and I thought the old man would cry.

He and I togeather fixed up a 1936 Ford Three Window Coupe. Painted in in
lacquer even. Paint cracked, big surprise there. But I drove it to work,
as did my sister. We had a ball with that car. We used it. My mother
nearly divorced my father when he sold that car.

So, looking at my M37 (the Back to Earth Special, Planter Edition) and the
many marvellous jobs restoring them, I see my repair job (see, I am not
saying restore) is going to be more like the 1936 Ford than our '37. And
when its done, I am gonna drive the absolute whee out of it, and not give a
flying intercourse at a rolling pastry if I booger up a hood, a fender, or a
Mil Spec Left Hand Side Upper Framinstan Bracing (India Service Edition).

Also, purists please pardon me if I do not get all teary eyed over Synthetic
Enamel. I have shot it by the barrel full and I honestly see no reason on
God's Green Earth to ever squirt more. In my world, it does not work as
well as some of the new finishes. But, if you are going to restore
something, go right ahead.
Don't flame me if I don't restore my vehicle that way. I am just too damn
lazy, and I want to drive my truck, and park it in the sun, and hug it and
pet it and call it George.....and not have to do doodly squat to it unless I
bust the Upper Framistan Bracing. Then I am gonna get out the tools and
whack fashion one that works and not worry about it.

I will go to Mil Veh shows and ooooh and awww over people who have put far
more time, energy and moolah into their pride and joys. I will exault with
them that they did so. It sure is there right.

And the first thing I do when I finish my M37? I am gonna fill the bed with
beer and go looking for a party. Because that is what they did with M37's
in my late Father's Air Guard unit. Now that damn sure seems Mil Spec to
me.

This is such a neat place, this Mil Veh Dot Org outfit. I have learned
much. And laughed a bit too. I hope others have done so with my posts. I
assure you I always write funny stuff (at least I think its funny). I think
that habit came from paint fumes. No I did not ever do Ditzler Lacquer
Clear. Honest.

I went to Pat and Wanda's M37 tailgate party and reunion in Brownwood, Tx a
few years ago. To get ideas on what an M37 looked like done up right. I
saw theme and variations galore. And met a zillion fine people who's name I
forgot milliseconds after I met them. And then we went on a trail ride. I
was in some sort of Big Military Truck. It had a ROPS cab and not much
else. It was green. It lead the way. I looked like a paleface pumpkin
because I was grinning so much. And I thought, hmm, if I restore my M37 to
the El Perfecto Maximum Grande standard, I am not going to do this with it.

Then we took another big butt whoopteedooo. The air locker thing was
applied and un applied. The turbo chortled and whistled neatly at my ear.
My belly was torn asunder by the seatbelt. I was hooked. To me, this is
what fixing my M37 is all about. So I can go beat it, and myself semi
silly. I looked back at the convoy following us through the mesquite...an
M37, a weapons carrier thingie, some other OD trucks, and
an International Carryall. Life is Good.

Enjoy the hobby your way! Its your truck!

Doc Bryant