RE: [MV] M35A3 discussion

From: Michael Goodden (mgmv@auroragroup.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 10:44:02 PST

Hi everyone!!!

Sorry I've been away for a while ......

Yes you are most certainly correct!!! ... I did buy an M36A3 from CA.. I
flew out there to check it out when it was up for auction on ebay and
then bought it and had it shipped back in a container into England where
its currently is residing while the major conversion takes place! It
had been used by the film industry for "The Hulk" and they were selling
it off in a condition that needed much TLC!!

Work is progressing well, when I got hold of it there was a lot of work
to be done, the CTIS system was completely un-operational, and I had to
strip it all out and start again.... it now works wonderfully (although
if there is anyone on the list that knows where I can get some O-rings
for the wheel seals from that would be handy as I've had to make up some
makeshift ones for now!!!)

After an interesting incident with the brakes catching fire we ripped
out the complete old brake system and replaced it with a nice air over
hydraulic system as found in most modern 7.5 ton trucks. I considered
going for full air brakes, but the cost was about 8x more!!

We recently cut the chassis down so I can keep a good departure angle
(which a standard M36 doesn't have!)... and am currently extending the
length of an M109 body that is forming the back for the truck.

Those of you interested can see some pics of the truck here:
http://www.thetipi.com/truck_pics/
(these are of when I had it shipped over, and prior to work starting on
it)... The website will have detailed info on the conversion and pics of
its progress.

If you register your details on http://www.thetipi.com I'll let you know
when the site goes live with more details!!

After various setbacks (as is inevitable with a project of this nature)
I've decided not to rush things, and am currently aiming to depart in
the autumn next year to give me a chance to complete all the work, and
take it out on a few test expeditions!!!

While where talking of A3's there are a few bits I'm after if anyone can
help!!! :
Split Rim Wheels
14.5 x 20 tyres
Wheel O-Rings