towbar pins

From: Bruce Kalin (pball@csionline.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 19:21:47 PST

Gene has a very important point here. I have gone to many web sites,
including tractor suppliers, etc. to see what is available. I have
learned quite a bit during my journey through web land.

There are many variations of what looks like the same pins. Most of
those advertised on the discount web sites are made in India, and the
alloy is not guaranteed to be the same, or even similar. By the way,
Lynch pins are the small pins with the rings around them that go through
the holes at the end of the larger retaining pins. That is just an FYI,
as most people refer to the complete setup as a "Lynch" pin. Actual
Lynch pins can be purchase by the hundred count for less than a quarter
each. Keep in mind that these pieces also come from a variety of
manufactures, and have different strengths.

The large retaining pins, 3/4" and 1" can run from a couple of dollars
each for the import, to $15 or better for those with guaranteed sheer
strength. As Gene stated, I would like to feel warm and fuzzy when I
drive my deuce, knowing that I have done everything possible to insure
that it is safe. If the pins sheer on the farm you may at best have a
lot of broken equipment or, at worst kill a close friend or family
member (or two). If the pin sheers on the highway you are going to make
a mess of many lives, forever.

Just my thoughts on safety. If you buy aftermarket pins, check for their
rating, and consider what you are towing.
Bruce