Re: [MV] [MVlist] Military quiz question-

From: Nigel Hay (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 10:18:34 PST

Ok, so where did the nickname Tommy ( indeed who was Tommy Atkins?) come
from?

Now for a fact about the "Breakfast car"
During WW2 young Subalterns would often try and borrow their senior officers
Austin 8 Staff Car - usually if they had a hot date. "get it back in time
for breakfast" they were always told - thus it became known as The Breakfast
car and the nickname spread throughout His Majesties land forces.
Trust me its true.
Nige