Re: [MV] m35 turn signal problems continue

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 19:28:24 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Willie McClain" <wiandci@comcast.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 6:00 PM
Subject: [MV] m35 turn signal problems continue

> Thanks to everybody that replied. First thing I did was clean the ground
on
> the steering column. Then I cleaned the ground wire that comes out of the
> back of the plug at the solid state flasher unit. Used new nuts and bolts
> remount the flasher. They had allot of corrosion.

Could be your actual chassis ground is bad. Clean off your system negative
terminal on the first battery in series, then follow the lead to where it
grounds to the vehicle itself. If it looks nasty, unbolt it and clean all
the associated cables, washers and portion of frame itself. If that were
the case I would expect the voltage meter on the dashboard to read low and
the headlights to be dim however, but it's something else to check and good
preventive maintenance anyway. Failing that, possibly a high-resistance
connection within the three-lever switch causing insufficient voltage to be
applied to the flasher system, but...that's a stretch. $59.95 for a
three-lever switch is robbery in my opinion unless it's NOS. Try Antelope
Valley or Frank's Surplus or one of those type dealers for a used
replacement that doesn't involve mortgaging your pets. They're the same all
the way from the 1950's forward for the most part, so you can take one out
of an M38 or M37 or M151 and still be okay. You're pretty much going to be
stuck with substituting known working components to isolate which of yours
is bad, unless you're really good with a voltmeter and have the patience to
deal with the wiring labyrinth that is.

Check grounds on the individual lights too. I had an M813 with weird
flasher problems until I did a check out of the blue by putting my test
light between the cab body metal and the cargo body metal. It lit up.
Metal-to-metal. The entire back body of the truck was isolated from ground!
The M35 rear lights are of course grounded to the frame itself, but I've had
bad grounds on those too.